Enterprise Connect is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

If you’re a UC-as-a-service (UCaaS) provider (and who isn’t these days?), these just-released numbers from Synergy Research are what you like to see: 25% year-over-year global market growth; the market size doubling in the last 3 years; almost 8 million UCaaS subscribers worldwide.

Perhaps even more significant is who’s buying: UCaaS started out as an SMB play, but Synergy reports that large enterprises are now driving the market, with a subscriber growth rate twice that of SMBs (presumably off a smaller base, but still). What’s more, UCaaS has replaced less than 10% of the PBX market to date, according to Synergy, meaning we’re just at the beginning of the market transition.

Another interesting point: Synergy reports that the five largest UCaaS providers—RingCentral, Mitel, 8x8, Cisco, and Vonage—hold a combined 61% market share, leaving a solid 39% of the remaining market to be divided among all the other players. With some 90% of the PBX seats still left to convert, this looks to be a market that’s still up for grabs.

As I noted last week, the providers that started out as pure-play UCaaS are expanding out to offer a host of other communications services via the cloud, everything from video to APIs to contact centers. Similarly, companies that started with narrower services are expanding their footprint to encompass UCaaS—for example, Synergy pegs LogMeIn as the No. 8 provider in its market share rankings.

We’d like to hear about where you are in your journey to the cloud. Our No Jitter editorial website is running its annual Cloud Communications survey of enterprise end users, and we’d love to get your input. If you’ve got a few minutes, please take the survey; we’ll share the results on No Jitter in a few weeks.